The AnswerPlus August Family Fun Guide 2022
There is no shortage of fun-filled activities for the whole family near our offices in Hamilton, Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton. We created a list of 18 local fun events, festivals, and activities in August with the help of our team located across Canada.
Whether you’re into culture or nature, sports or music festivals, there’s something for everyone on this list. And if none of these events are near you, we hope they inspire you to start your own summer tradition—or take a spontaneous road trip! Please click on the links to learn more about the time, location, and cost for each event.
1. Go berry picking!
Berry picking season usually runs until early September so you still have time to stop by a pick your own farm-fresh blueberries, strawberries, and Apples. Some locations are appointment only, so make sure you check before you go!
2. Have some fun on the water
Relax, paddle at your own pace, and spend some quality time with your family.
4. Catch a free show outdoors
Enjoy a wide variety of music by the water. All of these shows are free!
- Music on the Waterfront
(June 16 – Sept 1) @ 47 Discovery Dr, Hamilton, ON
- Concerts on the Canal
(June 24 – Aug 26) @ Merrit Amphitheatre, Welland, ON
- Summer Music in the Garden
(June 21 – Aug 28) @ Toronto Music Garden, Toronto, ON
- Music in the Park
(June 10 – Aug 28) @ Rotary Aqua Theatre, Orillia, ON
- Edmonton Symphony
(Sept 2-6) @ Various venues, Edmonton, AB
- Théâtre de Verdure Outdoor Shows
(June 30 – Aug 26) @ Parc La Fontaine, Montreal, QC
8. Plan a picnic in the park
9. Pick up some goodies at the farmers market
10. Go for a stroll in a botanical garden
11. Watch some Shakespeare in the park!
Enjoy the magic of live theatre. All of these shows are PWYC or free!
13. Or go camping in your backyard
Don’t forget to make s’mores!
14. Watch a movie under the stars
Grab a blank and some snacks and sit back and enjoy the show!
- Starlight Drive-In Hamilton
Mon-Fri , 7:30 pm in Stoney Creek, ON
- Toronto Outdoor Picture Show
June 23 – Aug 28 @ Various venues, Toronto, ON
- Summer Movies Under The Stars
June 16 – Sept 3 @ Various venues, Brampton, ON
- Summer Movies in the Park
Aug 3 – 24 @ Various venues, Edmonton, AB
- Cinéma sous les Étoiles
June 29 – Sept 9 @ Various venues, Montreal, QC
15. Reach new heights on a zipline
Thrill seekers unite! Go treetop-trekking or try the first urban zipline in Canada and experience Montreal from a bird’s eye view.
16. Take in some culture for free
Spend your evening learning about art, culture and history.
- Hamilton Civic Museums – Free with a Hamilton Public Library Card
Varying hours of operation @ various museums, Hamilton, ON
- The ROM’s Third Tuesday Nights Free
5:30-8:30 pm @ Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, ON
- AGO Free Wednesdays
Every Wednesday from 6-9 pm @ Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, ON
- The McCord Museum Wednesday Evenings Free
5:00 – 9:00 pm @ McCord Museum, Montreal, QC
- The AGA’s Last Thursday of Every Month Free
4:00 – 7:00 pm @ Art Gallery of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
17. Try a new dish
Indulge in flavour and festivities! All events are free admission.
- Hamilton Ribfest
August 19 – 21 @ Gage Park, Hamilton, ON
- Winona Peach Festival
August 26 – 28 @ Winona Park, Winona, ON
- Panamerican Food & Music Festival
August 20-21 @ Yonge and Dundas Square, Toronto, ON
- Cariwest Festival
August 5-7 @ Downtown Edmonton, AB
- Afromonde Festival
August 25-28 @ Old Port, Montreal, QC
- Montreal Rib Fest
August 16 -18 @ Pierrefonds, QC
18. Spend some quality time with family
Before you’re busy with back-to-school routines bring the whole family to one of these unique events!
- Dundas Cactus Festival
August 19 – 21 @ Downtown Dundas, Dundas, ON
- Fun Day at Centre Island
August 22 @ Centre Island, Toronto, ON
- World’s Largest Bouncy Castle
August 5 – 14 @ Markham Fairgrounds, Markham, ON
- Family Yoga in the Park
June 2 – August 28 @ various locations, Edmonton, ON
- Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Festival
September 1 – 5 @ Parc La Baie, Gatineau, QC